Monday, 16 June 2014

Rosie - by Roger Lever

For those of you who do not already know about Rosie then read on.

And for those of you who don’t know that I am a Vet as well as a photographer then read on.

In August 2009 I was operating in the surgery where I work in Dumfries when there was a lot of commotion, nurses running about and doing what nurses do when they are worried about a patient. I had just finished my operation so I went next door into the prep room to see what the fuss was about. There were 3 or 4 people leaning over the table on which there had been deposited a black plastic bag. “I don’t know if its still alive Roger, please have a look.”

The black plastic bag had been opened and inside was small curled up creature covered in diarrhoea, urine and fleas. It was breathing and no more. We removed it and placed it on a thick soft towel. The little greyhound type bitch was just skin and bone with little evidence of any fat or muscle covering. It was adult but only weighed 7 kg, the size of a small poodle. Normally an adult greyhound weighs between 20 and 30 kg. We gave her a warm bath and set up an intravenous fluid drip, a life saver on many occasion. It was in this case.

4 years on Rosie weighs 18 kg and lives life to the full. Here she is having ‘a burn-up’ on one of Tiree’s beautiful long beaches.

As far as the photography was concerned it was about capturing that sense of freedom and life she now possesses. I think I did.



For a more complete story go to the following link.

http://rogerleverphotography.com/rosie/

Roger Lever
www.rogerleverphotography.co.uk
www.facebook.com/Rogaman

No comments:

Post a Comment