Monday, 2 February 2015

Giles Atkinson - Creative Wedding Portraiture


Whilst I promote myself as a ‘reportage’ wedding photographer and 85% of a wedding shoot for me is candid photography, I love taking some time out of the day to capture a portrait or two with a wow factor.  Although most of the photo's I take involve little or no thought or preparation, and are simply moments caught as they happen, I enjoy the creative process when preparing for a portrait, taking into account the location, time of day and how adventurous your bride and groom might be!


This shot of Carrie and Scott was taken last year at Friars Carse in Auldgirth nr Dumfries. I had been planning this one and was just waiting for the right venue to try it out, so once the party was in full swing I sloped off to set up my lighting. Once I was happy with the setup, I went back and got the couple and the whole thing was done in less than 5 minutes. I love the outline of Friars Carse.


This shot taken after Nichole and Ky’s Celtic blessing, which took place at Caerlaverock Castle. Both keen photographers themselves they were up for anything! I just love the wonky windows as well as the texture of the stone in this shot.



Lou & Andrew chose to get married in secret, their wedding ceremony took place at Threave Gardens in Castle Douglas. There was no one else there apart from the two witnesses and the minister so once the ceremony was over and we had taken some shots around the gardens, we took off to some nearby woods and using smoke grenades, we created this misty woodland shot. I think it has an almost haunting effect!



Stephen & Cat had prearranged to have their photos taken down at Cardoness beach. The ceremony was timed to allow for the tides and the early sunset. and fortunately we lucked out with the weather! I love the starburst effect of the sun which is set against the couple's silhouette, certainly a wedding portrait with a difference!



My last wedding of the year took place just before Christmas at Mochrum Castle, Suzi & Ed were keen for a shot by Mochrum Loch.  Sunset was about 3:30pm, so we nipped over to the Loch (Ed doing his best on crutches whilst nursing a broken ankle!) straight after the ceremony for this shot. I think it captures the essence of a winter wedding perfectly, and shows what can be done if the bride and groom are up for it.


Giles Atkinson
http://www.gilesatkinson.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/gilesatkinsonphotography



No comments:

Post a Comment