Monday, 20 July 2015

Giles Atkinson - Into the Wilderness

Winter climbing in the highlands as a teenager was when I first fell in love with Scotland and one of the reasons my family and I eventually moved here. Whilst my climbing days are over, I still like to get up north as often as I can.

Earlier this year, I travelled with two friends up to Knoydart on the North West Coast of Scotland to canoe from Loch Morar to Loch Arkaig finally finishing at Loch Lochy. A journey of almost 40 miles through “Britain’s last wilderness” which would include a gruelling 10 mile portage and finish with a paddle down the river Arkaig to finish at Loch Lochy near Fort William.

We completed the trip in 6 days, staying in Bothies where we could and very basic camping the rest of the time.

Although a considerable extra weight to carry, I always take a camera with me, the photo opportunities in these beautifully wild places are simply endless. Here are some of the shots from this trip, I can't wait until the next one.

First camp on the shores of Loch Morar

The view from our camp.

The pier at the far end of Loch Morar

The Pier

It's great here!

Oban Bothy

Seating at Oban Bothy

Drying our clothes, with a bottle of Bucky

The Portage

Lochan after the portage

Wes playing up to the camera

Casualties

Halfway along the River Pean

View across Loch Lochy to Ben Mohr & Ben Nevis
If you'd like to read more about this trip, Darren Beale has written a detailed blog of the trip here..

http://bealers.com/2015/05/loch-morar-to-loch-arkaig/

Giles Atkinson
http://www.gilesatkinson.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/gilesatkinsonphotography

No comments:

Post a Comment