Monday, 11 January 2016

David Moses - Photographing Floods at Newton Stewart


Storm Frank gave Newton Stewart a miserable end to 2015. It hit already saturated ground and quickly inundated Newton Stewart High St, flooding pretty much every property along it. As far as can be made out, the wall that protects the High St, collapsed at it’s head exposing everything behind it and offering no protection at all. In no time the power, telephone, internet and mobile networks were down (much of this is sited along the river) and people were scrambling to protect their businesses and properties.



By the time the worst could be diverted the damage had already been done. But people got into action and did everything they could to help. And that really was what interested me photographically. I wanted to go and capture the selfless effort that many were putting in to help out their fellows.



Taking these type of pictures is about finding a balance. I didn’t want to get in the way of operations that were helping and I certainly didn’t want to exploit anyones distress. But it is important to get shots that honestly show the impact on peoples lives and how they responded to it.



This way of shooting is my default photographic style. What I am doing is not thinking about individual images, I’m thinking about how things work together to create a structure for the events. So, and this is rather counter-intuitive, it becomes about what you don’t see as much as what you do. The upshot of all this is that it allows the story to unfold. It’s a very simple philosophy that gives me a platform to work from in any situation. It’s how I learned photography and it has stuck with me ever since.















If you want to learn more about having an approach and gaining new skills to improve your photography then come along to my Street Photography Workshop on 23 Jan in Dumfries. There are only a few spaces remaining so booking is essential.

To book now click here - http://davidmoses.photoshelter.com/#!/p/workshops


David Moses
http://davidmoses.photoshelter.com
https://www.facebook.com/davidmosesportraitphotographer

No comments:

Post a Comment