Monday, 21 March 2016

David Moses - the Latest Collective Photo

I volunteered to do a new group photograph for the Galloway Photographic Collective because we are welcoming our newest member Laura Hudson-Mackay. When taking pictures of groups of people, faster is always better. With that in mind I asked Roger & Holly to help me set everything up beforehand. I didn’t really know what I was going to do, but I knew what feeling I wanted the image to have.

I also knew that the light had to be soft. For those who don’t know, the quality of the light (soft/hard etc) is determined by the relative size of the light source. An easy way to visualise the principle is by thinking about cloudy or sunny days. On a sunny day we have hard light because the sun is relatively small. On a cloudy day we have soft light because the whole sky acts as the light source. So I used a large soft box umbrella to light the group.

Then I just put people roughly into place and told them the feeling that I wanted to portray and I took a lot of pictures in quick succession. Easy (when you know how).



David Moses
http://davidmoses.photoshelter.com
https://www.facebook.com/davidmosesportraitphotographer

No comments:

Post a Comment