Monday, 11 July 2016

David Moses - Colour Street Photography



Colour photography isn’t just taking photographs in colour. It is about using colour in such a way that the colours become subjects in themselves, an intrinsic element of the photograph that is as important as anything else. Strong colour can really elevate a shot, so don’t just have colour in your images for the sake of it - it must add something.



My main influences in this regard are two of the great all time colour photographers - David Alan Harvey & Saul Leiter.



The way I approach it is to consider colour as a primary device in my photographs. By this I mean it becomes part of my decision making process. So when I’m looking for a picture I am on the lookout for (in no particular order)



1 - Subject
2 - Action or gesture
3 - Emotion
4 - Composition
5 - Colour
6 - Light
7 - Shadow
8 - Direction


Trying to recognise these things and act on them when you have no control over a scene is such a huge challenge, but one that is immensely satisfying.



So the next time you are out shooting, pay close attention to colour. Seek it out and see what it can add to your photography. Don’t overlook it. It doesn’t need to be a big wash of colour, it may just be a splash, something that draws the eye.

If you want to learn more about street photography, I offer one to one tuition and can cater for small groups. Please get in touch to find out more david@dmosesphoto.co.uk

David Moses
http://davidmoses.photoshelter.com
https://www.facebook.com/davidmosesportraitphotographer

No comments:

Post a Comment